Thursday, October 8, 2015

And so My Health Journey Begins...Day One, Pressing the Reset Button.

So many things, words, ideas, feelings, running through my head, yet I don't know where I want to start. Well, let's start with where I'm from, Chicago, IL. I'm Filipino and Bolivian, but grew up only knowing the Filipino side of my heritage. I wish I was bilingual, but, unfortunately, my mother thought that it was a bad idea.

As a child I was always one size bigger than all of my friends, I wish that was still the case now. My weight didn't become an issue until my mid 20's. At first I was only 20 pounds heavier, then 30 and then 40 pounds overweight. I think I was thirty-one when I almost fainted from seeing the number two in front of my weight. I took a twenty plus years long ride on that dizzying roller-coaster of losing and gaining weight. I tried gyms, personal trainers, DVD's, Nutri-System, Jenny Craig, and Weight Watchers.

I watched weight loss shows like The Biggest Loser, Celebrity Fit Club, Extreme Weight Loss and every season told myself I'm going to lose weight with the contestants...e.v.e.r.y. season! Jillian and Bob were not successful with me, then hunky, handsome Dolvett became a coach and I thought jackpot! he's going to be the coach who inspires me. Chris Powell and his wife had amazing results with their clients, so I watched religiously, still nothing. I tried several months with several trainers and had some success, but the cost always prohibited me from going beyond three months at one time and my lack of discipline kept me from continuing what I had learned from the trainers.

So, as you can see fitness is not one of my strengths. Let's look at my love affair with food. Ah here's where I've done the most damage. I have this unrelenting craving for SUGAR...in any form: chocolate, pastries, cakes, ice cream, cookies, an overdose of fruits, smoothies, my one soda that I love ginger-ale, honey in my tea, agave in any recipe that needs a sweetener, you can see that sugar runs my life. I am cheating on sugar with fresh produce, lots of vegetables and fruits. I eat red meat, not a lot now, but in the past probably way more than what my body could process well. And let's not forget my second weakness...Bread and cheese (they're tied)! Here's the crazy part, I'm lactose intolerant and have gluten sensitivities, yes I know it's nuts that I'm eating foods that make me sick, but really aren't many of us that are overweight doing the same? Maybe some people don't know what foods are inflaming them or causing them to gain weight, I know it's different for everyone.

In my journey I'll be exploring new foods, methods to detox my body, meal planning, exercises, new activities, a whole slew of NEW stuff will become part of my healthier life. I invite you to take part in my journey and see what I discover, where I succeed, where I fail, what may help you in your journey or that of a family member or friend. All are welcomed to share their wisdom, questions, and blog sites that would help in one's quest for a healthier life. I'm ready to embrace this new challenge! Have a wonderful day and I'll see you soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment