Thursday, October 22, 2015

Clutter in My Life is Cluttering My Brain! - Day 9

Clutter, mess, disorganization, do these words describe any or all parts of your life? For years, I've been trying to reorganize my space. I first started by buying bookshelves, my budget was small, so yes, I went with Ikea; they're great for what you pay. Well then I had to start sorting and figuring out what to put on those shelves...quite an arduous task, even to this day I haven't got it quite figured out (7-8years later). I also had an excessive amount of fabric, stone, metal, and glass samples, way too many for someone living in a small one-bedroom apartment. I eventually narrowed my samples down to fit in one of these rolling storage carts. It's a surprisingly freeing feeling purging unnecessary items.

Every now and then I get spring cleaning fever and run a few bags of clothes, accessories, and knick-knacks to the resale shop in my neighborhood. I'd say over the past five years I've donated over 40 bags of "STUFF." Sounds like a lot, right? It is, but I keep adding to the mess by buying more "stuff." George Carlin has a great skit about "stuff," click for Carlin video if you don't know who he is, you're missing out on a lot of laughing. I've learned to buy only the things I truly love (about 80% of the time) and will use. 

So how is this clutter affecting me? It's a huge distraction! Let's take my desk for example...
My messy desk!
I clear off my desk and days later it looks like this. I also have a huge pile of papers to sort to the left of my desk, by huge I mean at least two feet tall. I've got CD's, notebooks, boxes, glass jars, paper storage sorter, pen/pencil holder, piggy bank (you can see the top of Winnie the Pooh's ears behind my laptop), water bottles, camera, lamp, statue, large monitor, and piles of paper. That's a lot of crap on a small surface and I find myself sorting through it or rather shuffling it around to make room to work. Even now, as I'm typing this blog post I want to sort through some of the papers and get more elbow room. I found this blog that talks more about clutter and how it can affect you. how clutter affects your brain
I think clearing the clutter will help me in my journey for better health. I also read a great book by Marie Kondo called the life-changing magic of tidying up. Next step is to follow a lot of her advice. I bought the Kindle version, trying to avoid adding to the clutter.

So today is day 9 of my journey and by today I mean Friday 10.16.15. I did well this day.
green juice - swiss chard, kiwi, jicama, celery, lemon, and coconut water
Lunch was a salad, but soon after I was hungry so I added a protein shake.
salad - kale, swiss chard (blanched), jicama, bib lettuce, and tomatoes
Deliciousness!


Dinner was simple...just chicken breast, zucchini, swiss chard, mushrooms, onions, garlic, tomatoes

Well I hope you get inspired to take a look around your space and clear any clutter that may be holding you back from accomplishing your goals. Have a wonderful and healthy day!













No comments:

Post a Comment